Global trip costs vary based by location, but most trips stay within these ranges:
- Central America – $1700-2000
- South America – $1700-2200
- Middle East – $2600-3200
- Africa – $2700-3500
- Asia – $2500-3300
Prices include airfare, lodging and training costs. You are responsible for your passport, shots, personal supplies, spending money and some meals. For personal spending money, $100-200 is typically plenty.
Are you raising support?
We will also host an optional – but strongly encouraged – Support Raising Bootcamp for anyone raising support.
- Monday, Sept. 26 after class
- Monday, Oct. 3 after class
There are a couple of benefits to having a support team. The team serves as prayer warriors for your mission trip and assists you in the task of raising the funds needed to go. Please remember that this team is much more than a group of people who send you money – you will miss the biggest benefit of this team if your only objective is to pay for the mission. By forming a support team, you will be informing and engaging your supporters in the process of disciple-making that reaches to the ends of the earth.
When you send out a support letter, you are acting on behalf of nations in need of – and hungry for – training. Your letter informs others of this need and of God’s command to make disciples of all nations. Before you go on the trip and when you return home, you will have opportunities to share what God is doing globally. For a detailed guide to raising support and writing your letter please download the Support Raising Guidelines. You can also read a few sample support letters:
Some people going on mission trips prefer to pay the for the entire trip themselves and do not send support letters at all. You can pay for the trip yourself, but we still encourage you to send letters to build a prayer support and encouragement team. If you decide to try and raise the majority of your trip cost through donations, we expect that you will make arrangements to pay at least a portion of the cost yourself. This allows you to have some buy-in for the trip and gives you a greater sense of ownership and responsibility for the trip and its cost.
An Important Rule About Support Raising
There are a large number of Downline students who go on mission trips. We ask that you do not send support letters to others within your Downline class. Support letters are only to be sent to people who are not Downline students.
Supporters can donate by sending a check made out to Downline Ministries or online through our website. If supporters are donating on your behalf, make sure they give to the international fund and designate their gifts with your name and trip. Please note that if you apply for a trip and do not go for any reason, any donations made towards your trip cannot be refunded. Our non-profit status and the tax exempt nature of these donations prohibit it. To check your funding for a trip please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Trips Funds Policy
Some students raise more money than needed for their trip. If that happens:
- The money has to be used for an international trip since that is what it was given toward. It cannot be used for tuition or rent because funds donated for international missions are tax deductible whereas rent and tuition are not.
- A request can be made to designate the extra money toward another student going on a trip. We do not promise that all the money requested will be put toward the designated person’s balance. We are always cautious with these extra funds as we know that several students are raising funds for trips and may need the extra.
- No balance adjustments will be made until after the team has returned. Everyone going on trips has agreed to raise the amount of the trip. We want them in faith to continue to pursue this. If they do not raise the full amount and the trip comes in on budget, then it may be possible to move some or all of the total requested to the designated person’s account.
- Since the designated transfer is not guaranteed, we recommend waiting until closer to the trip departure date to see where the person is in regards to raising funds. That being said, you can tell your friend that you have requested your extra money go toward their trip at any time. Please let them know that they should not 100% count on this money as it is dependent on whether the trip comes in on budget. The full amount credited toward them will not be known until after the trip.
- If an individual begins to raise funds, but for any reason does not actually go on the trip then the funds remain in the Downline Global account. Downline does not give refunds. These funds can be utilized by the person who raised the support for a future international trip with Downline or any other gospel focused international trip or the funds can be designated for another person going on a trip as long as those who donated give consent. All requests are to be sent to Melinda Hoehn and will be reviewed by the Global Staff. If you have questions regarding this please talk with Steve Winstead.